swiss-list: To restrict or not to restrict.

From: Laurent Vuilleumier <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 09:58:50 -0800

Dear everybody,

The purpose of the swiss-list is to "keep members informed of new
developments and hosts informal discussions as well as exchange of
ideas, contacts, etc." (http:swiss-list.com/swl_wha.html). There is
room for a *reasonable* amount of requests. However, BEFORE
TO ASK the whole swiss-list, one should CHECK IN OUR WEB
PAGES if the answer is already there. We do have a list of member
that lists swiss-listers who agree to have their name listed as well as
the company where they work. Some of the companies listed on
Michel's mail are there. We also do have a page called swiss food
where one can check where to buy cheese or fondue items. We also
have a "tip" page, and I think that before to ask any question, one
should check there. I will try to add there a paragraph about short-
term trip to the Bay where I will list links to car rentals,
hotel/motel,
and B&B. (I am currently updating the page and already fulfilled
most of the 30+ request for update I received since the last update.)
But I want to point out there are subjects that are out of our scope.
For instance, we are not a travel agency. There are many ressources
on the web that can help you to prepare a trip to SF (start with yahoo).

Obviously, it will take some of your time to browse our pages. On
the other hand, if you find your answer in our web pages, and avoid
an extra mail to the swiss-list, you are saving 130 other persons' time.

We would like to avoid moderating the list (in this case it is OUR
time that would be wasted), but it depend on how hard people try
to find information by themselves before to ask for the tricky ones.
Remember, once you find information, IT IS A GOOD IDEA TO
SHARE IT. Send it to the swiss-list or directly to me.

Laurent

--
Laurent Vuilleumier               e-mail: L_Vuilleumier_at_lbl.gov
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory      phone : (510) 486-6108