Re: swiss-list: Rent-a-car and Hotel

From: Matthias Neeracher <click for textversion of email address >
Date: 26 Feb 1999 20:23:59 +0100

In article <v03102802b2fc81793159@[192.42.197.200]>, Pierre Brawand <Pierre.Brawand_at_isrec.unil.ch> writes:
> I will be around the Bay in a month for a 2 weeks period to visit some
> labs there for a post-doc.

> Could someone tell me where to sleep in SF or around (Berkeley for
> exemple) and which car company should I call to get the best car for
> the best price!!!!

I'm afraid I can't give very good advice on cars & hotels. I have, however,
gone through a 2 week job hunt in the bay area last year, and based on that, I
would like to offer one piece of advice:

 Before you look for a hotel, look where your prospective employers are located
 on the map!

The last two messages mentioned San Francisco, San Jose, and Berkeley as
possibilities. However, if all your interviews are going to be in Mountain
View, Sunnyvale, or Santa Clara, staying in San Francisco or even Berkeley is
going to make your interview commute fairly unpleasant, not even so much
because of the physical distances, but because of the traffic volumes.

In general, I would say that unless most of your interviews are going to be
in one of the three cities, it's probably better to pick a hotel in a suburb.
If the interviews are really going to be spread out over the entire area,
San Mateo might approximately be the geographical optimum (decent access
to all of Silicon Valley & a bridge over to the east bay) and Hotel prices
might be lower than in the city.

Matthias

--
Matthias Neeracher   <
>   http://www.iis.ee.ethz.ch/~neeri
   "There once was an Age of Reason, but we've progressed beyond it."
                                   -- Ayn Rand, _Atlas Shrugged_