[Fwd: swiss-list: Swiss stuff]

From: Urs Utzinger <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 10:49:54 -0600

attached mail follows:

Jean-Michel Pittet wrote:

> Has anyone found: "Brennspritt" or "l'alcool pour fondue" and Vacherin
> Fribourgeois? If the answer is yes, the please let me know where of
> course :)

Many of you may work in a laboratory which has at least some minimal amount of chemicals stored. So take your plastic coke bottle and fill in Ethanol or Methanol from the cheap kind but high percentage and take it home to fill up your fondue cooker.

If you are one of the unlucky ones who has a cooker which is fueled by a burning paste and it run out of fuel, refill the paste box with facial cleaning cotton and then poor in the alcohol.

If you are really desperate, search for any high percentage alcohol in your home liquor storage. It will work.

The easiest alcohol refuel I found in my house was medical cleaning alcohol which probably all of your american neighbor friends will have and can be found in food and house hold stores or even gas station near you.

If you have shaky hands and don't want to burn your apartment down, experiment in the sink or put some Aluminum foil or cookie sheet underneath the burner.

Good luck!

P.S. It seems that one can find Gruyere and Emmentaler in many stores here and it should not be a problem to make your own cheese mix. But I am in Texas here and dont know about you up in California.