Re: swiss-list: Auto Insurance

From: Beat Schmid <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 16:28:52 -0700

Hi Andy

My situation was quite different when I moved here. My wife and I
already had a valid Arizona drivers licence, so in order to get the CA
licence we only had to pass the written test, no street test. However it
is my understanding that by law you have to get a CA drivers licence
within 14 days if you actually live in CA. I might be wrong on that.

We then got insurance from AAA (you also need to sign up for membership,
which is good anyway). It was $780 per year. It of course depends which
options you choose how long your commute is, value of your car, driving
experience a.s.o.

I did have an accident after one month (backed into somebody else's Saab
Turbo, the Saab looked pretty ugly afterwards, our good old Mercury
station wagon didn't have a single scratch). AAA paid everything. The
next year the insurance costs went even down by $80.

Hope some of that helps.

Beat

--
Dr. Beat Schmid