re: swiss-list: Auto Insurance

From: Davide Guarisco <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 98 16:10:00 PDT

>From: "Andre Csillaghy" <csillag_at_ssl.berkeley.edu>, on 06-Aug-98 15:30:
>
>Hi,
>
>I have problems with my Auto Insurance company, California Casuality,
>which
>increased my premium by about 44% when I annouced a change of address.
>As I cannot talk about this with them (the "we'll call you back"
>syndrom), I am looking for another company. Does someone have an
>insurance company which is "nice", i.e. cheap, for (J-1-visa) foreigners
>and accept foreign driver licences---I dont habe a CA. drivers licence
>yet.

Hmmm. Interesting.
This is when I was about to recommend California Casualty.
The rate increase could be due to the fact that the insurance cost depends on where you live (44% is a lot, but I am no expert in the field).
Actually, they had a discount "for Stanford students", which made them less expensive than other companies.
I have been "happy" with them (i.e., they lowered the price every year as my California driving experience (!) increased), but I never had an accident, so I never had to get something from them.

If you are a foreign driver, as a rule you will unfortunately have to pay a lot for insurance.

Hope this helps,
Davide
---------- Original Text ----------

From: "Andre Csillaghy" <csillag_at_ssl.berkeley.edu>, on 06-Aug-98 15:30:

Hi,

I have problems with my Auto Insurance company, California Casuality,
which
increased my premium by about 44% when I annouced a change of address.
As I cannot talk about this with them (the "we'll call you back"
syndrom), I am looking for another company. Does someone have an
insurance company which is "nice", i.e. cheap, for (J-1-visa) foreigners
and accept foreign driver licences---I dont habe a CA. drivers licence
yet.

Any hints will be appreciated,
Best regards,

        -- Andre

--
Andre Csillaghy
Space Sciences Laboratory 		       Tel 510-643-5146