Re: swiss-list: Fw: Gene Protection Initiative

From: Laurent Vuilleumier <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 14:42:48 -0700

Hello everybody,

Since we saw some opinions posted on the swiss-list (usually more
devoted to the "neutral information-only"), I'll add my voice to it.

I also think the "gene protection" initiative will put to much of
a burden on research, and I will consequently refuse it. However,
I think there is some real concern it addresses. One of which is, for
example, the recent lobbying of American agro-business for allowing
the food being irradiated or genetically modified to be sold under the
label "organically grown" if no pesticides and chemical fertilizers
were used. Another one is the question of patenting living organisms.

If people in Switzerland are split on the issue, I think this is
because of concerns of that kind. I think it is counterproductive
to label proponents of the initiative as people willing to head
back to middle-age. We should acknowledge the concerns and emphasize
the excesses of the initiative. If we try a flame-like campaign, we
will just end up being labeled as arrogant scientists thinking they
are enlightened with the Truth, and I fear we will be suspected of
running an "american-like, all-for-profit" strategy. (Isn't there
a certain number of Swiss scientists that have something at stake
in genetic technology?)

Laurent

--
Laurent Vuilleumier               e-mail: L_Vuilleumier_at_lbl.gov
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory      phone : (510) 486-6108