swiss-list: Response to mail of Marcel Wehrli

From: Brigitte Ganter <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 13:51:54 +0100

To everybody,

I think it is great that so many people get active and to do something so
that the "Genschutz-Initiative" will hopefully not go through.

I would like to respond with a few points to the mail of Marcel Wehrli:

- A full-page advertisment in a newspaper like the Tages-Anzeiger would
cost sFr 14'500.-. The NZZ charges sFR 5'000.- for a half page
advertisment. It is far too expensive for anything like that. Of course
we could ask one of the big Pharmaceuticals in Switzerland to pay for it.
We thought about that, but we came to the conclusion that this is a bad
idea, because than it is going to be an ad by them and not by us and is
likely to actually backfire rather than support our cause.

-I think a "Leserbrief" in the Tages-Anzeiger is good, but not powerful enough.
At the moment you can find a flood of letters with the pro's and con's
regarding the Initiative, besides I am not sure that the letter written by
Marcel Wehrli is going to convince a lot of undecided Swiss people.

-I am actually corresponding with the responsible correspondent of the
Tages-Anzeiger right now, and they might want to write an article about our
activity here in North America. I think that an article is more powerful
and if properly phrased might reach more people. In the near future NZZ is
going
to have a few articles of Swiss scientist abroad and their activity against
the "Genschutz-Initiative".

- We have written another mail to all the Swiss scientist in North America,
and we got a very encouraging response both in quantity and support.

By the way, we learned from the Swiss embassy in Washington that 624 Swiss
scientist are currently here in North America and last year alone 32 Mio.
sFr. was spend to support their biomedical research.

Thanks again to those of you who had responded to our earlier mails. We
will keep you posted on future developments in particular what media in
Switzerland will report on our activity.

Brigitte Ganter

Dr. Brigitte Ganter
Department of Pathology
School of Medicine