Re: swiss-list: About taxes...

From: Louis Perrochon <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 17:14:29 -0800

>algorithm correctly...! As far as I know, there seems to be no form to fill
>out for the State of California taxes, but if I am wrong, please correct me!

You almost certainly are wrong, you have to fill either 540 or 540NR. I
hope, if one is non-resident by the IRS, one qualifies as NR by California.
But CA might treat you as a resident, even when you are a non-resident for
the IRS. I fear this means, they want to tax all your Swiss income
(including savings in "third pillar funds", because for CA these are not
tax exempt)!

And they may tax your Swiss grant regardless of the tax treaties the US has
with Switzerland. Only if the tax treaty mentions state tax explicitly, you
are safe.

If I am wrong here, please tell me (including the paragraphs of the laws,
treaties, etc.)

California Code paragraph 17001, 17951 and some around there
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/.html/rtc_table_of_contents.html (big!)

California forms are at
http://www.ftb.ca.gov/

>a smooth treatment at the IRS this year, Ted Goode suggested that I fill out
>a Form 8843 for 1996 by replacing all dates 1997 by 1996, and that I write a

I agree it is a good think to send that letter (I did it too). The 1996
version of 8843 is on the Web, no need to cross out dates.
http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/prod/cover.html

For completeness, the federal tax code is at:
http://www.tns.lcs.mit.edu/uscode/

Louis