swiss-list: About taxes...

From: Marc-Olivier Andre <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 19:59:20 -0800 (PST)

Hi everybody,

What follows may seem redundant to some (hopefully most) of you, but I think it
is worth mentioning.

After discussions with Ted Goode, one of the advisors for International Students
and Visiting Scholars at UC Berkeley, it appears that EVERYBODY in the US must
fill out some kind of tax-related forms. When I say EVERYBODY, it is to
emphasise that even people who are NOT subject to taxes, like e.g. the Swiss
National Science Foundation scholarship recipients and their dependents, must
fill out a form for the Internal Revenu Service (federal level): Form 8843.
Of course you won't have to pay any cents of taxes, but you AND your dependents
are still required to fill that form out (this is valid for F1, F2, J1, J2, M
and Q visa holders). The estimated average time to fill it out and send it has
been calculated by the IRS to be around 30 minutes, if I understand their
algorithm correctly...! As far as I know, there seems to be no form to fill
out for the State of California taxes, but if I am wrong, please correct me!

I mention this because I should have done it last year, but I didn't bother
thinking about it, since I naively believed that being tax-exempt meant that
there was nothing to fill out. In order to make sure that my tax files get
a smooth treatment at the IRS this year, Ted Goode suggested that I fill out
a Form 8843 for 1996 by replacing all dates 1997 by 1996, and that I write a
brief letter of explanation about why I am 1 year late (nobody had told me,
etc.). If you are in the same situation and also wish to clear this minor
problem up, I'll be happy to send you a copy of the letter I am going to write,
so that it saves you some precious time.

I wish you lots of fun for this so 'rewarding' activity and also a great (dry?)
week-end!

Greetings,

                                                        Marc-Olivier Andre