swiss-list: Car to sell and J1 info.

From: BILL, Andreas <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 18:52:19 +0200 (IST)

Hi!

I am leaving soon, after two great years in the bay area. I am selling my
car. It is an:

        *** Oldsmobile 98 Regency Brougham ***
        from 1987

        It has 118K miles, is all power, has a/c and leather seats.
        Asides from one button, everything works.
        It has a small dent on the right front side
        (that comes from the owner before me; I am the second owner).
        The transmission was rebuilt this last summer.

        Overall the car is in very good condition (especially the motor!).
        I changed breaks and tires over the last year and passed the
        smogg test a few weeks ago.

        *** The price: $3500.- /O.B.O. ***

If anybody is interested in looking at/buying the car, please call me at
(510) 644-3213 (at home; leave a message).

I am not sure that I will make it for the saturday fondue, but I'll try
hard!

Best,

Andreas

PS: I also take the opportunity to stress one point about the J1 visa,
that has already been said, but that is very important and needs emphasis.
 Most of us are submitted to the 2yearhomeresidencyrequirement. This means
that after a total time of 3 years (splitted over the years at your own
convenience) you HAVE to leave the US for a period of 2 years minimum.
Even if you get a job here, you are not elligible for any visa or even the
green card for this 2 year period.
 As we already know, there is a possibility to avoid this rule by asking
for a "waiver" of the requirement. It takes between 6 and 12 weeks to get
it (this is, e.g. important if you win the green card lottery, because you
then also have to obtain the waiver!).
 The waiver has, however, an immediate consequence that may turn out to be
problematic. Indeed, for the USIA and the INS, receiving the waiver means
that you are not anymore an "exchange visitor" (who, by definition goes
back to his home country), because they think that you will stay in the US
and are looking for a job. As such you are NOT elligible for the J1
anymore, EVEN if you have not been here for three years. You also CANNOT
obtain any extension anymore (even if you have money; this is what happend
to me and why I write this note...).
 On the other hand, you can apply for the H1 visa. But I was told that one
should be aware of the fact that the H1 is obtained if one has or is going
to have a CONTRACT with an employer. In the case of a governmental funding
(like a grant), this is usually not the case.

Morality: You better ask for the waiver only if:
                - you are going to have a job with a contract,
                - you know that you cannot extend your J1 anymore,
                - you will not come back to the US unless you have a contract.

Andreas Bill
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab.
1 Cyclotron Road, MS 62-203
Berkeley, CA 94720, USA