swiss-list: Swiss-List 98, a new thrust and a new flavor

From: Panayiota Granitsioti <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 17:33:46 -0800

Hi everybody,
             I did an update of the Swiss-List web site for the
coming year. With this update we hope to give the Swiss-List a new
thrust, and to start that, I tried to give the web site a new look.

I have divided the welcome page in 4 parts:
1) A welcome banner including our name, logo, and the title and
   anchor to the next 3 sections.
2) an "About us" section whose purpose would be to describe the swiss
   list (something for newcommers and outsiders).
3) a section "From the SF Bay area to Switzerland" that would list
   what is usefull for scientist living/working in the SF bay area
   to get or keep in touch with Switzerland.
4) a section "From Switzerland to the SF Bay area" that should help
   Swiss scientist and possibly entrepreneurs to get in touch with
   the bay area.

Until now the Swiss-List web site has been mainly a collection of links
to be used by Swiss post-docs around SF. We would like to give the
possibility for people in Switzerland (mainly in the science/technology
field) to find an anchor here, and maybe for people here (SF) who might
be interested in what is going on in Switzerland (again with a
science/technology bias) to get a starter.

Sections 3 and 4 have been canibalized from the content of the old
Swiss-List web site. It would need some growth in order to address
the goals described above. However, the current Swiss-List 98 (let's
be ahead of our time, in contrast with Microsoft) is already a kind
of skeleton. By the way, science and technology as well as the web
will never provide a solid frozen ground to allow a final completion.
I hope that this web site, consequently, will permanently be under
construction. To build it, I will need your help. I eagerly wait
for your comment/help on what to include in this web site. Please,
have a look at our new web pages, and tell me what you think about
it and what you think we might try to add.

Since I have waited two months for that update, many pages received
additions (link that I noticed or have been sent to me). The only
pages that did not change are the one for the SF Bay area, and the
one giving tips for Swiss post-docs. The page about social events
has everything about our next dinner (Saturday the 13th).

See you at the fondue next Saturday, and I welcome all comments and
will be thrilled by your (good) ideas for what we could do.

Laurent