August update of the Swiss-list web site

From: Laurent Vuilleumier <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 11:27:29 -0700

Hi everybody,

     I updated the Swiss-List web pages. The changes are the following:

> The main page became slimmer. Since I thought that people might not
  want to read again and again what is the swiss-list, I moved this
  description and the disclaimer to new pages and put the links to
  these pages in the main page. I also added a link to the swiss-list
  member list in the main page.
> Obviousy, I created the two new pages "What is the Swiss-list" and
  "Disclaimer".
> In General Swiss Web sites, I changed the link from the Switzerland
  site in the HEI Uni Geneva to a mirror site in USA (should speed
  downloading).
> In Visas and Administrative stuff, I added the link to a law office
  web site given by Eda Tuncel.
> In San Francisco bay area, I added the site of Excite that has a nice
  "People locator". If the person you try to find in USA is listed in
  the phone book, you're almost sure to find him there.
> In phone rate contest, I added the MCI promotion brought up by
  Hanjurg. and removed Telecom USA that is not any more a good deal
  even for long long-distance calls.
> In Something to think about, I removed The Post-doc corner that I
  could not find anymore (a short-lived site).

  Plus I tried to change the 8-bit ASCII coded accentuated characters
  to the clumsy html corresponding codes (e.g., Neuchatel or
  Zuerich) since I had complains that some browsers were not able
  to read my accents. However, I have not been very careful and I
  might have missed some.

**** REMINDER: If you wish to be listed in the Swiss-list member list,
     e-mail Laurent Mieville. This list might be used by some people
     in Switzerland trying to get in touch with Swiss scientists and
     engineers in USA and might turn out to be useful for your career.

Let's also remind everybody that the Swiss-list web site is (at your
bookmarks...) http://loki.stanford.edu/~mieville/swl_wel.html and
as usual I'll be very happy for any feedback or suggestions or
additions.

Laurent

--
Laurent Vuilleumier               e-mail: L_Vuilleumier_at_lbl.gov
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory      phone : (510) 486-6108