More about AHV/AVS...

From: Marc-Olivier Andre <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 10:30:02 -0700 (PDT)

Dear colleagues,

Following Adrian's reply on my mail about the new AHV/AVS law, I called the
AVS representative in our Consulate in SF (his name is Laurent Vuillemez, not
Laurent Vuilleumier!).

Unfortunately my concerns were founded... If we are NF scholarships holders,
our dear 'unemployed' spouses will pay for this privilege! The calculation of
the taxation will be based on the following:

(spouses's fortune) + (1/2 the scholarship and/or any other 'rente')x20

Example: the spouse has bank assets worth Frs. 25'000 and the NF scholarship
is Frs. 44'000, then the taxation will be that corresponding to the amount
25'000 + 22'000x20 = 465'000

I don't have the AVS tables, but the taxation will definitely amount to more
than the minimum Frs. 378.-, according to Laurent Vuillemez. This decision was
challenged in the AVS Department in Bern, but 'they' estimated that the
scholarship holder was privileged enough not to pay more than the minimal
contribution, therefore they would not grant it to the spouse too! As Adrian
said yesterday, this is non-sense!

If the spouse earns a salary, then the calculation is made on the basis of
the W2 form and does not take into account the other's spouse scholarship
income.

If the spouse is unemployed and the employed spouse pays more than twice the
minimal contribution, then the unemployed spouse pays nothing more than the
contribution due to her/his fortune.

As you can see, we get into a legal daedalus where I am not an expert. Therefore
I hope that I did not write information lacking precision. I am sure that you
can find more special cases than the ones I mentioned. In any case you should
receive your taxation notification no later than next week.

Mr. Vuillemez gave me the Consulate e-mail address in case we want to contact
it regarding any kind of matter:

                swisscomsf_at_aol.com

This has nothing to do with adding the Consulate to our mailing list so far. It
is just for private contacts.

I hope I did not bother you too much with boring considerations!

Have a nice day,

                                                Marc-Olivier

Dr. Marc-Olivier Andre Phone: +1 510 642 3634/4376
University of California Fax: +1 510 642 1304
Department of Physics E-mail: andre_at_physics.berkeley.edu
366 LeConte Hall #7300
Berkeley, CA 94720-7300
USA