AHV

From: Adrian Hehl <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 18:53:00 -0700

Dear all,

Just a few thoughts about Marc-Olivier's reading of the new AHV/AVS law
cited below:

A strict reading of the new law implies that the contributions of an
>unemployed spouse should be calculated on the basis of half of the income of
>the employed spouse, i.e. the scholarship for most of us.
>For instance, if the scholarship is Frs. 44'000.-, then the spouse taxation
>would be x % of Frs. 22'000.-, which could amount to something like 700 or 800
>Frs!!

I'm not sure we should accept this calculation even if the AHV would love
to lay hands on more of our money (we earn so much!). As far as I remember
we got something like sFr. 7,000 as spousal support with our NF money and
that, I think, translates approximately into the minimum annual
contribution an unemployed spouse have to pay. This becomes a moot point,
however, as soon as the spouse has his/her own income in the US and he/she
pays on that basis - or would the basis for her taxation then be 22,000
plus the additional income??? What happens by the way if a spouse in
Switzerland is unemployed for a whole year, is the basis for her/his
contribution also half of his/her employed spouse? Does he/she pay anything
at all? We have no experience with this but I am sure our experts at the
consulate will have an answer.

I agree that it would be extremely useful to have an open channel to the
consulate, the benefits outweigh by far any worries about a government
agency listening in.

Cheers,

Adrian Hehl

This message is brought to you by: