RE: startup: Update on Swiss Innovation & Entrepreneurship!

From: Pascal Marmier <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:38:42 -0500

Dirk,

Thanks for the stimulating reply. I agree that speed of growth is a key
issue for Swiss companies and talked about it often with startup experts
in Switzerland, especially CTI directors who have seen good numbers in
terms of startups created but no reall big success stories. However, I
don't see why this should stay true in the long term. We are a global
minded country (just think of the readers on this list) and have strong
ties to the US. Many Swiss companies started on a global scale early in
their development. There are numerous SMEs that thrive on doing a large
part of their business abroad. Why not startups?

I still think it's the culture around that influences this slow speed of
growth. We want to build something solid, little by little and getting
strong on a global scale is not a first priority. Should Swiss VCs
develop stronger ties to theirs US counterparts so that they can act as
business development relays? Should we have a system of "incubators"
abroad much like the UK, Irish and Scotts have started in the US?

Awaiting your ideas....

-- Pascal