startup: startup: Lanze für Unternehmer

From: Stefan Haenggi <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 13:21:44 -0400

I would like to add a few points to the article in the "Tagesanzeiger"
comparing CH and USA startups which I think are significant :

1.) A startup in the USA has it much easier to employ and layoff workers.
    Both can be done in one day. The government regulations are small and the
    working contracts simple one-page papers. The company can hire
    key-employees fast in every phase of a startup and not needed people are
    not using up valuable resources for weeks.

2.) The money the USA startups are getting is spent very focused on the
    product. No expensive furniture, simple cubes, no fancy buildings and
    lobbies, plane tickets coach and not first class, plain business cards, no
    fancy VP laptops and PDAs, ...

3.) Having worked at a startup in the USA, even if it commercially failed, is
    not considered a problem in the personal career. It is valued as a prove of
    commitment, the ability to take risks and broad knowledge.

4.) The startup-workers in the USA are ready to put in extreme hours. Personal
    business can be handled in very short time with the use of fast food
    restaurants, drive-through banking, 24/7 opening of shops,.... High
    commitment is expected, vacation days are low. Workers are ready to take a
    pay cut in the early phase of the company because living expenses can be
    kept low if needed.

5.) As example the USA salary of an administration person who does general
    office work compared to a person in the engineering staff who does product
    development can be up to five times smaller. In CH there is sometimes
    hardly a two times difference between them. Education and professional
    experience is well honored in the USA.

I am Swiss and have worked as a RF Wireless Engineer in CH at large and small
companies. I am employed since a few years at a HighTechStartup in the USA
where I experienced the above. I don't want to say that this differences are
good or bad, they simply exist.

Sincerely
Stefan Haenggi
shaenggi_at_tantivy.com