Re: startup: State of the Venture Capital in Switzerland

From: Christian Simm, San Francisco <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 11:05:40 -0700

Dear All,

Maybe is would be of interest to you to know that the Swiss Science & Technology
Office in San Francisco has organized in the last months two big events around the
subject of venture capital and entrepreneurship (see below). Both events were
over-booked, which certainly shows how much the participants - among them many
Swiss expats - are interested in what is happening in these fields, also in
Switzerland !

- October 23, 2000 in Palo Alto, CA
"Entrepreneurship and venture capital : American and Swiss perspectives"
176 participants

- June 20, 2001 in Palo Alto, CA
"How entrepeneurial companies can raise funds : the Swiss option"
171 participants

Many of the guests have been invited through SwissTalents
(http://www.swisstalents.org).

As it will be announced in our electronics newsletter "eScience-America", the
details on these events will soon become available on our website
(http://www.sciencelink.org). Another electronic newsletter
("eScience-Switzerland") gives regularly information on what happens in
Switzerland in these fields. Both newsletters are free, opt-in/opt-out and can be
subscribed at http://www.swisstalents.org/enews.

Regards,
Christian

> From: Pmarmier_at_aol.com
>
> Maybe I am biased because the academia I see at Swiss House are for a great
> majority "entrepreneurs-friendly". They seem to have developed a sense of
> business that I did not experience when I was at university (graduated more
> than 6 years ago from Lausanne U.). I have also visited several professors at
> EPFL f.ex. who had a look at the market when doing research and were constantly
> looking for ways to commercialize their technology.
>
> It is true that you still meet academic folks who think of the economy as the
> bad devil, but with the introduction of new tenure tracks for young professors,
> I am confident that a new generation of foreign and foreign-educated prof will
> shake out the system.
>
> Go ahead with the posting and let's see if Swiss List readers have interest
> beyond cheese, wine and visa stuff...
>
> Best,
>
> Pascal

Christian Simm, PhD
Swiss Science & Technology Office for Western USA and Western Canada

c/o Consulate General of Switzerland
456 Montgomery Street, Suite 1500
San Francisco, CA 94104 (USA)
phone : (415) 788-2272, extension 107 (direct) or 0 (operator)
fax : (415) 788-1402
e-mail : christian.simm_at_sciencelink.org
website : http://www.sciencelink.org