RE: sfbay: LDW and ALI for car rental in California?

From: Chris Cavigioli <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 22:42:00 -0700

If you are only renting for a few days (not weeks or months), then the
difference is minimal, but infinitely easier if something does go wrong.
Can you imagine having an accident in USA and telling the rental agency and
the other driver that you actually have some insurance that you think might
cover the damage from a company somewhere in Switzerland?

Maybe in Europe where companies are very familiar with cross-border issues
in the same time zone, this might be trivial, but in USA you'll have a hard
enough time getting them to just process the case within their own company
with their own policy never mind dealing with strange companies in Timbuktu
(their point of view) that don't deal in dollars. You'll end up being the
person that needs to push everything for the next 16 months.

This is just my opinion, of course. I totaled my rental car on my wedding
day, got 3 solid witnesses who swore the fault was the other driver and have
a police report ... and still more than 12 months after the accident I
received a letter just informing me that the case is still being reviewed.
I don't even live at the original address anymore, but trying to change
address with them isn't worth the effort.

Note also that it is a state law in California that you MUST carry proof of
insurance WITH YOU in your car or your rental car when you drive in
California.
-chris