sfbay: Invitation to Speaker's Forum at the German-American International School

From: Uschi Joshua <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:59:15 -0800

The German-American International School Presents from its
Speakers Forum Series "Minds without Borders"

 "Putting the Fun back into Math"

 7:00pm - 9:00pm, Thursday, April 1, 2004
German-American International School
Multipurpose Room
275 Elliott Drive, Menlo Park
 <http://www.germanamericanschool.org/> www.germanamericanschool.org
 Admission is free.

"The future well-being of our nation and people depends not just on how
we educate our children generally, but on how we educate them in math
and science specifically." - Senator and Astronaut John Glenn.

With this in mind, what can we do to stir our children's interest in
math? What math concepts can children learn during their preschool,
kindergarten and early school years? How do they benefit at a later
stage?

Rita Wespi, our speaker and expert in early numeracy, will describe the
operational stages children go through as they learn about numbers and
help us identify what types of activities are appropriate for exploring
each stage of mathematical development and how they encourage
mathematical thinking. Most notably, Rita will teach us what the single
most important factor is to promote our children's future academic
success.

Rita Wespi, a math enrichment consultant, founded Math Matinee with the
intention of getting more children and parents excited about math. As a
mother of two and former software engineer, she believes that developing
a love of learning is a quality children can carry with them through
life. She has been teaching after-school enrichment programs and
preschool math-readiness classes since 1997, and hosting Family Math
Nights throughout the Bay Area.

Nursing infants are welcome to the event. Free babysitting is available
on campus during the presentation.
Please contact Liane Clark, office manager to reserve a spot at (
<mailto:offmgr_at_germanamericanschool.org>
offmgr_at_germanamericanschool.org;
650-324-8617).
 All families are encouraged to join.

+++++++ KILLMIME removed the following attachment(s):
+++++++++ part2: HTML document text