sfbay: tonight: Inflation and/or Deflation: A German-American Perspective

From: Axel G. Merk <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 09:54:30 -0700

This is a reminder for tonight's event - if you would like to come and
have not yet rsvp'd, please send me an email directly.

I'm giving a presentation tonight on the topic of "Inflation or
Deflation" that builds on a report I wrote a quarter ago (
http://www.merkinvestments.com/archive-by-date/2003/2003-07-01.en.html
). This topic is very much on people's minds, and so it should as
seismic changes are under way.

If you are around, you are cordially invited to join. I will be around
after the presentation for questions not covered during the talk. The
event is sponsored by the German American Business Association of
California and will be given at 7pm tonight, in Palo Alto. For details,
please see the attached invitation. As this is election day, there will
also be live coverage of the recall. This promises to be a very
exciting evening.,

Axel Merk
Merk Investments
http://www.merkinvestments.com/

TITLE: Inflation and/or Deflation: A German-American Perspective

When: Tuesday, October 7th, 2003
Time: 7:00 - 9:00 PM
Cost: GABA Members: $10:00; Non-GABA-Members: $25 (Appetizers & Beer &
Wine Reception incl.)
Location: SAP Labs - 3410 Hillview Avenue-Building D, Palo Alto, CA
94304
        http://www.sap.com/company/saplabs/northamerica/location/
<http://www.sap.com/company/saplabs/northamerica/location/>
Speaker: Axel Merk, Merk Investments, Founder & President
RSVP: RSVPs required. Please email intern_at_gaba-ca.org
<mailto:intern_at_gaba-ca.org> ; or call: 650-654-2789

both European and US newspapers. But which one is it - deflation,
inflation, maybe both, that we need to worry about? What happens if the
Federal Reserve Bank and the US administration try to force the economy
away from deflationary symptoms through monetary and fiscal policy? How
will the European Central Bank react?
What can you do as an individual or a business to position yourself in
this environment. Should you take advantage of the low interest rates
to leverage yourself, or should you try to lower your debt in this
environment? Should you be concerned about your Dollar or Euro exposure?
We will explain in simple terms how today's risks are different from
what we are traditionally used to, and recommend simple steps to be
prepared for the interesting times we live in.

The Speaker:
Axel Merk is the founder and president of Merk Investments. Mr. Merk has
been actively managing his own wealth in the stock market since 1983. In
1994, he founded Merk Investments AG in Luzern, Switzerland, to manage
and
administer investment funds following his own investment philosophy.
Nowadays, all investment advisory activities are directed from Merk
Investments LLC, an SEC registered investment advisor.

Mr. Merk holds a BA in Economics and MSc in Computer Science from Brown
University, Rhode Island. His post-graduate research focused on the use
of
computer-aided models in financial decision-making. As private pilot and
father of three, Mr. Merk is used to continuous training, planning
ahead,
focusing on safety, keeping his eye on the indicators and dealing with
the
unexpected.