Re: sfbay: Looking for individual microwavable fondue pot

From: Darius Somary <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 19:29:14 -0700

Marc - why anyone would try to make a Fondue in a microwave totally
surpasses me... The only individual fondue pot I've ever come across was the
one they gave to the messenger (orgy for one) in "Asterix in Switzerland".

Anyway, as a professional chef I can assure you that the intense and uneven
heat generated in a microwave will most likely cause the milk fats in your
cheeses to separate from the milk solids and your fondue will "break" - no
matter how much corn starch, lemon juice or whatever emulsifier or
stabilizer you use. The main problem here is that you can't uphold a hot
emulsification without constant stirring, which is a little challenging when
using a microwave.

The second problem is that corn starch is a very heat sensitive binder and
as such not suitable for microwaving. This is one of the key reasons for
adding it only towards the end of cooking. If you undercook the cornstarch
your fondue will be gritty, if you overcook cornstarch it will lose its
binding power and you will end up with goop. Potato starch and Arrowroot are
binders that can withstand higher temperatures for a longer period of time
and as such might be more suitable for microwaving. BTW Maizena is
essentially cornstarch. The only difference is that Mondamin and Maizena
have fine ground corn meal and yellow coloring added.

Lastly, about the container. If you don't want to invest in or use a proper
caquelon, I suggest you melt your cheese and wine (don't forget the garlic)
on the stove in a heavy bottom saucepan, or even better and enameled cast
iron saucepan.

For Helvetia's sake: be a proud Swiss and do it right... please!

;-) Regards __Darius