RE: sfbay: Fry's in Geneva?

From: Vaughn G. Hysinger <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 13:12:22 +0100

Yes Daniel, one pre-requisite of shopping at discount stores is that usually
you have to be smarter/more technically competent than the 'sales drones'.
Otherwise go to a 'full-price', 'full-service' organization.

Besides the stores everyone has mentioned, you might drive into Germany and
try some of the Wal-Mart stores. My guess is unless you have a very
expensive purchase, by the time you add up gas, wear and tear on the car (or
value of the train ticket), the shops everyone has mentioned are about it.

One final thought. I have ordered computer items from Amazon.com and
Amazon.uk and CDW.com (Products with English manuals are really scarce on
products purchased in Switzerland, a necessity for me since I only do
English). All web sites mentioned have delivered to my home in 3823 Wengen.
Takes about 5 days unless you go for 'overnight' type delivery--and pay for
it. The downside is that you'll pay customs duties. But if you are a good
shopper you can most times beat the total price. An example is an
"All-in-one" (fax, color printer, copier, scanner). I had CDW ship me a
Canon model from the states (of course watch the power supply issue--mainly
internal power supplies, external can be had usually via a separately
purchased one). Even by the time I paid the "international postage' and the
customs I still saved about 40% of the local price at Interdiscount...and I
received it on my doorstep 5 days after I ordered it.

Cheers and welcome back. The snow is Maarveelous this year!

Vaughn