sfbay: Start of the Swiss-List Talks in the Bay Area!

From: Claudio Fleiner <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 21:05:25 GMT

We have decided to start a regular swiss-list talk event in the Bay Area, and
the first event will take place

                Thursday December 5th, 2002 in Palo Alto

There will be two talks (about 30 min, see below) so that you can learn what
other swiss-listers are doing in the Bay Area and there will also be plenty of
time for pizza and networking! Note that you must register (see below).

During this first event we will also have a short discussion about the future
of the talk series (if you cannot attend but have suggestions we'd be happy
to hear them too).

Schedule: Thursday Dec 5 2002

              6:30: pizza/beverages
              7:00: first talk (Bela Ban)
                 break
              8:00: second talk (Lukas Mueller)

Registration: fill out the form at http://www.swiss-list.com/register.html
              before Nov. 8

Cost: $15 at the door (cash or check). Additional $3 for pizza/drinks

              NOTE: the event will only take place if at least 20 people
                    register. If you register you will need to pay the $15 even
                    if you don't show up (after all, we need to pay for the
                    room etc) We will send out a confirmation on Nov 13 as to
                    whether the event takes place

Location: Cubberly Community Center, 4000 Middlefield Road, Room H-1,
              Palo Alto CA (directions: http://www.sdforum.org/p/l1.asp?SID=1&PID=324)

Questions/Comments:

              Send them to Bela Ban <bela_at_nms.fnc.fujitsu.com>. He organized the
              event and talks.

Abstracts:

Bela Ban - JavaGroups: A Java-Based Toolkit for Reliable Group Communication

The talk will give an overview of JavaGroups, a Java-based toolkit for
reliable multicasting. The goal of the talk is to convey a feeling of
what JavaGroups is and what kind of applications can benefit from
using JavaGroups.

The presentation will be structured as follows:

    * Sample small dummy application using unreliable IP multicast
      - Issues with using IP multicast
    * Architecture of JavaGroups - API
      - Protocol Stack
      - Building Blocks
    * Rewriting the sample app using JavaGroups - Benefits
    * Real-world example: session clustering with Tomcat/JavaGroups

About the speaker:

Bela Ban is a Principal Engineer at Fujitsu Network Communications,
where he works on a Java-based SONET Network Management System
(EMS/NMS). Prior to joining FNC, he was a post-doc at Cornell where he
developed JavaGroups. Bela holds a B.S. and Ph.D. in Computer Science
from the University of Zurich, Switzerland.

Lukas Mueller - The Genome of Arabidopsis thaliana

In late 2000, the genome of Arabidopsis thaliana, the first plant to
be fully sequenced, was published. Other species that have been
sequenced to date include bacteria such as E. coli, simple fungi such
as yeast, the fruitfly Drosophila, and of course, even humans. Why are
people so interested in Arabidopsis, a weed? How was the sequence
obtained? What does it mean to have this incredible amount of data?
How is it processed? How is it converted into knowledge? How do people
benefit from it? I work for the Arabidopsis Information Resource, a
publicly funded, non-profit database that integrates Arabidopsis
thaliana data from many sources and presents it to the users, who are
mainly researchers but also include educators and the public. I'll
talk about the database, the tools and other information that is
available on the website, at http://www.arabidopsis.org/.

About the speaker:

Born Zurich, 17 Sept 66
ETH, Biochemistry, 1986-1991
Diss, Univ Lausanne, Plant Biochemistry, 1992 - 1997
Post-Doc, Stanford, 1997-2000
Curator, TAIR, 2000-