RE: sfbay: theater

From: Vinz Koller <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 13:42:56 -0800

There are a number of very good groups in the Bay area. I recommend being
eclectic and trying a bit here and a bit there. Among the "biggies" that I
would recommend there is ACT (American Conservatory Theatre) in SF with more of
a traditional approach to theatre, Berkely Repetory Theatre in Berkely with
great new performance spaces and a bent towards more unusual productions
including commissioned works, there is TheatreWorks in Palo Alto that
apparently is quite good although I have never seen them. I am sure there are
many smaller companies that are good too. One of the best Theatre experiences
for folks in the Bay Areas is not in the Bay Area at all but 7 hours north of
here, the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland http://www.osfashland.com/,
Oregon. It offers 12 performances a year (season lasts from March-November),
of which 3 are Shakespeare, the others range from American classics to newer
plays by African American playwrights. I even saw Frisch's "The Firebugs"
(Biedermann und die Brandstifter) there a couple years ago in the best
production of that play that I have seen anywhere.

Vinz Koller
Social Policy Research Associates
1330 Broadway, Suite 1426
Oakland, CA 94612-2513
Voice: (510) 763-1499, ext 638
Fax: (510) 763-1599
E-Mail: Vinz_Koller_at_spra.com
http://www.spra.com

Home Office: Voice and Fax: (831) 622-0749
P.O. Box 1242, Carmel, CA 93921