sfbay: Brain Drain!

From: Christian Heuss <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 21:48:20 -0700

Dear Bay Area Swiss-Listers!

I am a Swiss science-journalist working among others for Swiss Radio
DRS2. I am currently researching on a broadcast segment about "Brain
Drain". The goal of this project is to look from different perspectives
on this phenomena. Does it exist and if so, why and what is undertaken
to prevent or decrease it?

As I am currently still living in the SF Bay area, I would like to use
the opportunity and speak with people that indeed have something to say
about Braindrain. In particular, I thought about people that are
Braindrainers themselves or are on the brink to become one. That is,
i.e., Swiss post-docs that have decided to stay in the US, or that are
just about to make this decision. - I would like to know what influenced
you to stay in the US and why you won't return to Switzerland? What
would need to change in Switzerland to ease a return? What were your
experiences concerning Swiss job offers, interviews, academic positions?
Etc.

I've been in touch with Katja Schär, who recently published a study with
over 250 people for the Swiss Gebert Rüf Stiftung. Some of you may have
participated in her web-based survey. From her I already got kind of a
broad impression and overview. But it would be great if I could speak to
a couple of you in-person about your own experiences.

If anybody is interested to find out more and eventually would like to
talk to me, please contact me ASAP.

I look forward to getting in touch with you!

Best regards
- Christian Heuss

=========
Christian Heuss