RE: sfbay: Buy a car

From: Anne Brunner <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 11:23:59 -0800

Hi Andreas,
first rule number 1. You never pay for a car, what is written on it's
price tag. You always have to haggle for the price.
To find out the worth of a car, there is books around e.g. Kelly's blue
book, that gives you the value of every car that have been sold in the
last 15 years. Inspect the car, and use the problems to haggle the price
down from there. If you don't know enough about cars, most car repair
places do it for you relatively cheap.
I bought 2 cars since I came here, and this is my experience.
The first time I looked in a newspaper. I found a decent car that way. I
had it checked out and bought it. What I did not know, is that the
person who sells the car has to smog check it before he sells it, and
they also have to do the ownership change form stuff. We had to run
around quite a bit, because we were not aware of this.
The second time I bought my car from a used car dealer. I brought my
American friend with me who knows about cars, and knows how to get the
price down. I think that time, I made a better deal and got less hassle,
but used car dealers are the best hagglers in the world (like in an
Arabian Bazaar) so you have to be good.
Good luck
        Anne