RE: sfbay: Where to buy Furniture?

From: Darius Somary <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 19:11:57 -0400

I've done some pretty extensive research in this area myself - here are my
suggestions:

Busvans (Battery St. between Green and Valleyo, SF) - they've been voted
"best places in SF to buy furniture" by some newspaper or magazine. Right
next door to Busvans there's another furniture place. Can't remember the
name but they're not bad - check it out while you're there anyway.

Then there is the Scandinavian Design Store (Shattuck Ave., Berkeley) that
has some very nice furniture, but pricey.

Target has quite a good selection of cabinets, dressers, book shelves, etc.
and they're better quality than IKEA.

Gorman & Sons (Telegraph Ave, Berkeley) sells raw (unfinished) tables book
shelves, etc. so you can stain or varnish them in whatever color you like.

If you're looking for a really good European bed (not the US box spring
stuff) check out European Sleepworks at Shattuck and Adeline
(Berkeley/Oakland at Ashby Bart station)

CORT, the furniture rental place has several outlets where they sell their
second hand furniture - the only I know is in Concord.

And, alas, IKEA still have the best deal in town when it comes to chairs
(and Swedish meatballs).

Last but not least you might want to look into (don't laugh) Wal*Mart and
KMart - they have some simple and sturdy kitchen tables at very affordable
prices.

Good luck! __darry