Re: sfbay: Re: Certified Translation

From: Erik Bruchez <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 23:28:08 -0700

> Assuming you were born and married in CH, you can order an international birth
> certificate from the town you were born in (comes with at least 12 languages on
> it, including english). This may also work for your marriage certificate, call
> them (the administration of the town you were married).
>
> I translated the marriage certificate myself and signed it while at the embassy
> (the US embassy told me to do it that way, and that was to get a Green Card).

I had a similar experience with a degree translation for the INS (for an
H-1B). You can just translate the document yourself and go to a place
like Mail Boxes Etc. or any other place providing notary services. You
will sign a paper saying that the translation is, to your knowledge,
accurate, raise the right hand and swear that you're saying the truth
(not kidding!), and the notary will countersign the document.

-Erik