[Seattle] News: Air France to Begin Non-stop Service Between Seattle and Paris

From: Manuel Schmitt <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 09:17:44 -0800

http://www.portseattle.org/news/press/2007/02_20_2007_82.shtml

February 20, 2007
Air France to Begin Non-stop Service Between Seattle and Paris
-Daily flights start June 11-
The Port of Seattle announced today that starting June 11, Air France
will offer daily non-stop service between Seattle-Tacoma International
Airport and Charles de Gaulle International Airport in Paris.

Air France will serve the route with an Airbus A-330-200, configured
to carry 219 passengers. The flight will arrive in Seattle each day at
2:35 p.m., and depart for the return trip to Paris at 4:55 p.m.

"More than 50,000 people per year travel between Seattle and Paris,
and non-stop service is a very attractive option for travelers," said
Port Commission President John Creighton. "This is a big win for the
Port, and for the entire state of Washington."

France has long been one of Washington state's largest trading
partners, and is currently ranked second among European countries.
Paris has been the largest European city without non-stop service to
and from Seattle.

"We are incredibly pleased that Air France has decided to make Seattle
their next North American destination," said Port CEO Mic Dinsmore.
"This will have benefits for business and leisure travelers in both
markets."

The Port worked with the Seattle Convention and Visitors Bureau and
the state's Department of Community, Trade and Economic Development to
promote tourism from France to the US.

"I am proud that the efforts of the state of Washington, coupled with
the work of private business and others, have paid off," said
Washington Governor Chris Gregoire. "Team Washington worked hard to
show Air France that a Seattle-Paris route would be good for them as
well as for our state."

"It's gratifying to see that teamwork pay off in today's announcement
from Paris," the Governor added.

The connection is vitally important to business travelers. Paris is
the site of Microsoft's Europe, Middle-East and Africa headquarters,
and is the center of the European aerospace industry. But the route is
also expected to enhance opportunities for the Washington's tourism
industry.

"Having a non-stop flight is likely to bring new European travelers
into our market and into our economy." said Visitors Bureau CEO Don
Welsh "Leisure travelers from France typically spend about two weeks
when they come here, and they visit all corners of the state."

Air France is part of the Air France - KLM Group, which is the world's
largest revenue generating airline. The company's hub at de Gaulle
Airport offers service to 126 European destinations in 34 countries,
including France and North Africa.

"We are proud to add Seattle to our U.S. market. Seattle's diverse
industries, international population and our strong relationship with
the Port of Seattle make it the logical choice for our continued U.S.
expansion," said Air France Vice President and General Manager U.S.A
Marie-Joseph Malé. "We are certain that travelers in the Seattle area
will appreciate the unique product and expansive global network Air
France offers its customers."

Air France is also a founding member of the SkyTeam Alliance, which
provides connections and sharing of benefits with several major
airlines already serving Seattle.