eastcoast: Re: swiss-list: Summary: tax issues

From: Stephen Helliwell <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:06:55 -0400

I cannot help but throw some more info onto the pile. In IRS
information book #519 at the bottom of page 5 and the top of page 6
it explains that if you are here as a teacher or trainee, for 3 years
or less, and all your salary from those three years is non US, then
you are still exempt - because you CAN exclude all of these days from
the substantial presence test.

As usual, do not take my word for it, download this 55 page baby from the IRS.

http://www.irs.gov/forms_pubs/pubs.html

Have fun, you only have a few hours to go !!

Stephen

Stephen Helliwell
Post-Doctoral Fellow
Department of Biology