Re: alumni: Giving up the Green Card

From: Laurent Piguet <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 14:07:34 +0200

> 1. The greencard automatically expires after one year out of the
> US, unless you asked for an extension before you left
> (I think you can extend it for at most another 6 month)

Good point. I guess I figured the INS does not really have a way to know
if you are in or out. I have been back to the US since we have left, but
it hasn't been a year. Of course, they could have cross-linked records
with the IRS, which would tell them right away that I have moved away,
since I filed as such on my tax return.

> 2. Taxes are usually zero, as you can deduct a large amount
> (currently around 0000), if this is not enough there are
> also ways to deduct housing costs and other costs related
> to the cost of living abroad, plus you can deduct the taxes
> you pay in Switzerland (capital gains tax could be a problem
> though).

I think the amount is $75K income deduction while abroad, which isn't
all that much really (even though, with the current exchange rate, it is
harder to get there). I just don't want to pay ANY tax, and I hate the
hassle of filing a US tax return.

> 4. The form you need to fill out to apply for a greencard
> says that if you once had a greencard, you can always
> reapply and there is no cap on the people that reapply.
> I've never heard of someone that did this, so I don't
> know if it is as easy as it sounds.

Yeah, that's true. My wife is american, so it should be a problem.

Laurent

--
Laurent Piguet                                    laurent.piguet_at_epfl.ch
Coaching Team                                 Mobile: +41 (0)79 310-3249