RE: startup: State of the Venture Capital in Switzerland

From: Jean-Michel Pittet <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 14:19:47 -0700

Swiss startup market is definitely at a different development stage than
Silicon Valley. This is evident in the startup breath and specificity of
experience in the service providers I'm particularly thinking of Recruiting
(recruiters, websites etc), news (i.e. Swiss equiv of redherring, venture
wire, Money tree etc.) and VCs.

On the other hand, the delta has shrunk by major amounts over the last 5
years. This is most notable in the VC community. Index's fund raising
success is just one example. I can tell you that raising that fund in the
current climate is an indicator of very good health! Other Funds have opened
up European offices, there I'm thinking of Benchmark etc.

In the news space, you have tornado-insider.com which started 2 or so years
back. Even though not on the US level on details and breadth yet, it is a
major step in the right direction.

On the recruiting side, jobs.ch etc ... as well as Christian and his team's
efforts with SwissBrains ehm swisstalents are also major steps in the right
direction. Or for another example, look at the PSE in Lausanne ... quite a
few good Valley style startup coming to fruition.

Overall, I must say personally I'm quite pleased with the development in
Switzerland over the last few years. Today there are way more
entrepreneurial possibilities in CH than some years back. Is it a "major hot
spot" ... not jet, but there are individual elements and companies which
stand out.

Cheers
JM