[Swiss-list] BVG payment taxable in USA?

From: Cornelius Fichtner <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 12:06:03 -0800

All,

I am a Swiss citizen, my wife is a Swiss-American dual citizen. When we left
Switzerland in 2002, we had the funds from both our BVG (Pensionskasse)
transferred into a "Freizügigkeitskonto". Last year, we had all funds from
that account transferred to the USA and used it to buy a home. The required
Swiss taxes (Quellensteuer) were of course deducted prior to this payment.

Now I am trying to figure out with my CPA here in California whether or not,
we will have to pay US taxes on this as well. I was wondering if any
swiss-list members have been in the same situation and how you solved this
issue.

Any info or pointers to online resources are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
 Cornelius Fichtner