[Swiss-list] Computer Scientist positions at Netflix

From: Pierre Demartines <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 11:32:45 -0800

Dear friends,

After living through the commotion of founding and selling two software
startups (and seeing many 100-hour weeks in the process), I was ready to
get back to a little more civilized rhythm of life... More
particularly, I was ready to retrieve a mode with more R&D and less
administration!

I joined Netflix (www.netflix.com) last November, based on an initial
good feeling about the team, the company, and the research
opportunities. Since then, my appreciation for this new environment has
even increased! Everybody has only positive things to say about
everybody else's work. Ideas flow and titillate constantly. The data
that I get to put my hands on is just unbelievable (1 billion user
ratings of movies; over 4M customers --talk about a data mining dream!)
The public loves the service and the company (very positive brand
image). My colleagues are incredibly smart, mature and hard at work.
This is one of the best jobs I've ever had!

With $1.4 billion of market cap and about 250 employees at the
headquarters, you can guess that we believe in staffing thinly and with
the brightest thinkers available.

Well, we have several positions currently available. See
http://www.netflix.com/Jobs for details. I'd like to point out three of
these positions which are in my team:

Search Engineering
------------------
Help us dream up and implement the next generation of search engine for
movies and movie-related information!
http://jobs.netflix.com/DetailFlix.asp?flix1109

Senior Software Engineer - Artificial Intelligence
Come invent and build the world’s best personalization software to help
our customers discover movies they'll love.
http://jobs.netflix.com/DetailFlix.asp?flix1175

Senior Software Engineer - Merchandising
Craft groundbreaking algorithms to manage the inventory and dynamic
merchandising systems at the heart of our service.
http://jobs.netflix.com/DetailFlix.asp?flix1079

If you think you have the right stuff and are intrigued by any of the
above, please contact me,