swiss-list: Bringing in retirement fund

From: Berthe Y. Choueiry <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 11:32:50 -0600 (CST)

Dear All,

I wonder whether anyone has pointers on how to bring
retirement money (compte de libre passage) from CH to
the USA.

- what are the administrative steps involved?

- what are the taxes/fees to pay in CH?

- are their any taxes/fees to payed in the USA?

- what kind of accounts in the USA can the money
  be transferred to? That is, in order to avoid losing
  money on fees/taxes should the money go into a
  retirement account or used immediately towards the
  mortgage of a house?

A company in Lausanne has repeatedly contacted me
to help me with the transfer for a fee of about
CHFr4000, claiming that they would save me some
taxes. Does this make sense? should I be warry
of such claims?

I may have asked these questions a few years ago,
so please fogive me if I am repeating my self.. (age?).

Have a great week-end,

-Berthe