RE: swiss-list: multi national marriage

From: Peter Buerki <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:07:08 -0500

[regarding US view of dual citizenship check out the last
 entry on our visa section at the bottom of this page:
 http://www.swiss-list.com/links/Visa/
 The moderator]

Hi Xuan Mai Vo,

As the others said, you cannot loose Swiss citizenship, unless you expressly
wish to relinquish it. Switzerland does not care about how many other
citizenships you have.

However, you might run into problems with the USA. If you accept Spanish
citizenship the US immigration may interpret this in the sense that you
relinquish your US citizenship. I would keep quiet about your Spanish
citizenship in front of any US immigration official.

The information given by Regina is partially incorrect. Officially, the USA
does not recognize any dual citizenship. However, inoffically they tolerate it
as a fact of life. More information about dual citizenship issues can be found
in last year's Swiss list archives. If you have any questions, I would contact
Mr. Hirschi from the Swiss Consulate in Los Angeles. He was very kind and
provided very useful information when I was in the process of becoming a
naturalized US citizen myself last year. Let me know, if you have any other
questions.

Congratulations and good luck with your world-citizenship.

Peter Buerki
Oceanside, California