Re: swiss-list: Good News!! & Political Opinion

From: Nico Ghilardi <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 14:38:48 -0700

Hi John,

I think we all understand that the US needs to protect its freedom -
there can be no doubt about it. I also believe most of us are fine with
increased scrutiny, as long as it proves effective. We are all prepared
to wait for a long time to get our greencards, and I believe we are also
all loyal to the US in general, even if some of us are at odds with the
current administration.

What I find unfair about this whole thing is that we now face a
situation in which we risk getting stuck outside the US if we dare to
travel back home - at least as long as we are still on a visa rather
than a greencard. It has happened to people, sometimes for months. This
is in nobody's interest and caused merely by an inefficient bureaucratic
system which suffers overload because of outdated equipment and procedures.

I recently read a report in the NYT that increased visa scrutiny is
costing the American economy billions, suggesting that an overhaul of
the procedures would also be beneficial to the US, not only to us
foreigners.

As far as the US government listening to the rest of the world, I
respectfully dissent. But that's another story which is not what we are
talking about here.

N.

--
Nico Ghilardi, Ph.D.