swiss-list: Questions about Form TD F 90-22.1

From: Cornelius Fichtner <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:00:48 -0700

All,

The form TD F 90-22.1 is a form by the US Department of the Treasury to
"Report of foreign bank and financial accounts". My wife is a
US-citizen, I became US tax liable last year and therefore we must fill
out this form and let the Feds know about our foreign accounts. We have
moved here last year, so this is the first time we have to do this as a
couple and I have a few questions that I hope one of you may be able to
answer:

1.) Some of the accounts which we have in Switzerland are held jointly,
some are in my name only, some in my wife's name only. Should we fill in
the form jointly or a separate form for both of us?

2.) Both of us have had our pension ("2. Säule") paid in cash and it was
then reinvested in a tax deferred pension fund in Switzerland
("Freizügigkeitskonto"). Do we need to list these accounts on the TD F
form as well?

Thanks for your advice!

Regards,
Cornelius Fichtner