Re: swiss-list: Double Taxation Switzerland and USA / Social Security

From: Marc Audard <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 18:11:15 -0400

Hi-

Wait a second. I think there is a misconception about
paying the AVS in Switzerland and paying the facultative
AVS. I am not aware at all of this rule that after 1yr
without paying AVS (assuming facultative) you cannot pay it
again. The main requirement for facultative AVS is to
have paid for at least 5 consecutive years in CH in order
to be able to "join" the facultative AVS. The latter is
also renewable every year, and one can stop it at any
time (within a certain time frame).

Now, in your case, I suspect you are still officially
registered in CH, correct? That makes you pay the AVS
in CH, and yes, that's an obligation (if you are still
registered in CH)!.

Cheers

Marc