Re: swiss-list: Double Taxation Switzerland and USA / Social Security

From: Laurent Jay <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:43:12 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Ralf Kubli wrote:

>> -there is an agreement for the recognition of your ss payments if you
>> ever return to CH. there should be plenty of information in the
>> archive of the swiss list on this. in short: you pay ss in the US,
>> for at least 18months, you return to CH and they recognize the years
>> that you have contributed SS at 50% in CH.

Dear Ralf,

I checked the swiss-list archives and the agreement
http://www.ssa.gov/international/Agreement_Pamphlets/switzrld.html
but I could not find anything supporting that Switzerland would
recognize the years that you have contributed SS at 50% in CH.
Where did you read or hear that statement? Could you point
to a precise statement in a document? That would be very much
appreciated.

In http://www.swiss-list.com/mailing/swiss-list/2002/0371.shtml
I read:
               ... the Swiss System does NOT look at our American
               credits when computing our AHV/AVS pension.
               Actually, on the AHV/AVS side, the agreement only
               seems to benefit Americans who have worked in the US
               and then go to work in Switzerland, but it does not do
               anything for people like me who have worked in
               Switzerland and then move to the US.

My conclusion is that the years we contribute to Social Security
in the US will not be recognized by Switzerland at all, or only
at a 0% not 50%. If anybody thinks I am mistaken please let
also all the swiss-list know.

-- Laurent