swiss-list: Double Taxation Switzerland and USA / Social Security

From: Laetitia Hirschy <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 20:07:54 +0000

Hi,

I understand that there are treaties between Switzerland and the US, so
that
you don't have to pay social security in both countries. How does this
work?
I currently live and work in NYC and pay social security here (which is
deducted from my salary at the end of each month) and AVS back at home in
Geneva. I'd like to know how I can go ahead and be exempt from paying soc.
sec taxes here and keep paying AVS in Switzerland since I intend to go back
to CH at some point? Is there any other taxes that we are exempt from? I
heard that Chinese citizens don't have to pay taxes in the US because they
have most-favored nation status with the US, do we have anything like that?

Thanks,
Laetitia