Re: swiss-list: Starting a company in the US

From: Dirk Riehle <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 09:39:34 -0800

The usual way is to start a company so you are an owner. (You don't need to
live here, you don't need to have a work visa, it does not guarantee
employment.) Then the company that you just founded tries to employ you,
typically, by getting you an H1B work permit. Later you can apply for a
greencard. At least that's how I've seen in it work in high-tech companies.

There is also another way if you want to plunk down lots of money: You can
get a work permit (forgot whether it will be a greencard right away) if you
invest substantial amounts of money (>$1M) in a company that you are *not*
part of. All of this may have changed in the last two years, so no guarantees.

In any case, you will need a lawyer. Depending on you where you want to
live and work, I'd probably try to find a local law firm. In Silicon
Valley, you can find a few good full service firms that can help you with
nearly every aspect of it. Same in Boston or NYC I suspect.

Dirk

Cell Phone: US (650) 224 0233 --- Web Site: http://www.riehle.org