Re: swiss-list: us taxes: better to fill as resident?

From: Michael Rudolf <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 08:22:36 -0800

Carine

residency is determined by how long you have been living here, not by
choice (although in reality no one will go back and check it). A couple of
years ago I have found that it was better to file as resident. But tax
laws change like the leaves on the trees and who knows what is currently
valid. Tax laws can even change on April 14th...
anyway, I would file separate, since you have an income paid from outside
the US you do not pay taxes at all. You still have to file your taxes,
though. Still, since you have no taxable income your deadline for filing
is June or July 15, not April 15. Further information can be found in the
publication 519, tax guide for aliens (from outer space, like Europe....).
It can be found under www.irs.gov, go search under publications. 519 is a
monster but after reading it 5 times I finally found what I needed. (Keep
in mind, I am not a tax professional and by following above advice I am in
no way responsible for any legal troubles arising to you).
Your option to get taxes prepared by professionals are huge. I used H+R
block and they saved me some big money, but then again my tax situation is
simple. They might not know about laws taxing foreigners, though. Be
careful. Professionals are mostly expensive and helpful for complicated
returns. I found the most cost-effective way to do taxes is using software
like TaxCut, which is in essential the same software used at your local
H+R block. Having the software allows you to do your taxes on your pace,
digging for receipts and necessary information, and also to play
different scenarios, like filling jointly or separate, and simply compare
how you save the most.

Good luck

Michael