Re: swiss-list: expired driving license II

From: Dona Mommsen <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 09:29:38 -0800

Hi,

California is a great state, but don't give people any false hope about
the DMV. After 9/11 getting a driver license is very troublesome.
a) You need a SSN in California too. If you don't have one and cannot
get one because of you visa/status, the DMV checks back with the SSN
office. Process time 60-90 days.
b) I'm on a J-2 and applied for a working permit. When I got the
temporary permit, the Soc Sec office had to check back with (at that
time still called) INS. Processing time for checking if the working
permit is okay: 60-90 days. BTW: I was very annoyed that time, because
I directly came to the Soc. Sec office with a brand new permit from the
INS, and the Soc Sec. had to check if its okay. What the h*** is a
permit worth (which has even a fingerprint), if they are not trusting
an official document and going to check anyway?

However, what you might do, is taking the test again. If you do the
written exam, you don't need your SSN at that time (at least in
California, that check comes later). Then you get a temporary drivers
license, and this is okay with car insurances. Same thing after the
actual driving test, you get again a temporary drivers license. These
licenses are valid 90 days. This is actually the way the DMV
recommended me in case the process with the Soc. Sec takes too long:
You can even ask that they renew these temporary licenses; I'm not
quite sure about the maximum length, but I think you can extend them
even up to 1 year in chunks of 90-days.
So why not going to a DMV and take the written exam like a new arrival,
not telling them that you had a drivers license? For the duration you
need a drivers license these 90 days of the temporary license should be
fine.

HTH

Dona