swiss-list: GSM/GPRS/EDGE in CH? data services on prepaid SIM? broadband Internet in CH?

From: Chris Cavigioli <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 02:49:29 -0800

Thanks, everyone, who replied to my infrastructure Q's about being in the Lugano area for the month of Feb.

more Q's:

INTERNET
how do people in CH connect to the Internet at home?
- V.90 dial-up?
- DSL?
- ISDN?
- something else?
how about from hotel rooms? Do hotels offer broadband Internet like all big hotels in Asia do?

GSM DATA
For voice calls, I plan to bring my Motorola i2000 tri-band GSM mobile phone
... I know it's not the latest and greatest, but it works worldwide. I expect
to purchase a pre-paid SIM card when I arrive in CH.

I toyed around with the idea of getting GSM/GPRS/EDGE data services here in
USA, possibly with the Treo 600 phone [ooops, it's not EDGE capable]

I checked with AT&T Wireless today at the retail store near Market / 3rd about the Treo 600 phone and they:
- didn't know about international data roaming charges
- didn't know if Treo 600 can be SIM-unlocked [why in the world they SIM-lock non-subsidized phones, I'll never understand]
- didn't think data services exist in pre-paid SIMs
I was thinking about what would happen if I bought a Treo 600 and took it with me to CH.

Data services in USA seem to have priced themselves out of their own market ...
I imagine if I try to roam with this service in CH, then I will have a fortune
to pay on my bill (or pre-paid SIM?).

HAS ANYONE HEARD if there exists such things as pre-paid SIM cards in CH that include data services?
HAS Switzerland deployed GPRS? EDGE?
Are data services available to visiting roamers in CH?

Thanks again for emailing directly to me....
-chris

+++++++ KILLMIME removed the following attachment(s):
+++++++++ part2: HTML document text