swiss-list: Cancelling an application for a reentry permit

From: Dorothea Beringer <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 04:35:40 +0100

Hi,

About 15 months ago we applied for a reentry permit because we
temporarily went back to Europe and didn't know if we would be gone for
more than one year
(as a green card holder you need a reentry permit to get back into the
US if you remain abroad for more than one year). Our application has
still not been
processed (during last year, the processing time for reentry permits
increased from 3 to currently about 18 months...), but in the mean time
we returned to the US
and have no longer any need for a reentry permit. Now we think about
cancelling our application because one can only get one reentry permit
every five years. So because we don't need it now, we'd like to avoid
the 5 year period in case we need a reentry permit later.

Does anybody have any experience or knowledge about cancelling a pending
application for a reentry permit (or cancelling any other kind of
application that is pending at the department of homeland security)?
Does anybody know if trying to cancel a pending application can cause
any problems?

Dorothea Beringer
djberinger_at_bluewin.ch