swiss-list: Re: J1-2 year rule

From: Marc Audard <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 23:39:00 -0500 (EST)

Hello Delphine

Anyway, the issue is that for a certain obscure reason the US
embassies nowadays set the (212e) rule (2-year home rule) on the
J visas, even if no governemental (US or Swiss) money is involved.
This is at least the case for Swiss NF recipients, despite the
fact that it claims to be nongovernemental but a private fundation.
I had the same problem. Once you come in the US, too late to complain.
However, I was informed that in general, it is easy for a Swiss
citizen to get a "no objection" waiver for the two-year home rule,
even though there is always some caution, since there exist some
cases where it was rejected.

I guess, I will see in 2 years, assuming I want to stay (which
is not especially the case nowadays).

Now, I understand that you are not Swiss, but French (which by
the ways surprises me that you got a Swiss NF fellowship, but
that's out of scope). I guess that the "no objection" waiver should
in principle be also somehow easy to get for a French citizen.

Marc