RE: swiss-list: air freight, surface mail...

From: Demartines Pierre-FPD009 <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 11:23:14 -0700

FWIW:
- a 1500 lbs home-made crate (with a race-car and various parts
  and tools in it) cost me $2800 to ship by air from SFO to London.
  The all important factor in that case was the overall dimensions,
  so that it would fit on a standard air freight palette. I had
  to cut the front of the car for this operation...
- full household by boat from SFO to GVA cost $3500 using a freight
  carrier, BUT... I had to do all the packing myself, and it took
  almost three months to come!!! and parts were all broken due to
  poor handling, and several loading/unloading operations (truck,
  train, boat, train, truck). Beware those cheap freight carriers;
  they try to arrange for your stuff to travel in company of other's
  in the same container, and many problems occur.
- a full household relocation (40ft container containing 1 car, 1
  boat, 1 motorcycle, furnitures, etc.) professionally packed and
  expedited by Harsch transports took 6 weeks from GVA to SFO. The
  cost, however, was $14K.
- back in 1996, I used FedEx (yes, FedEx!) to send some big boxes
  full of books from Geneva to San Francisco. The rate was the cheapest
  I could find from Geneva at that time. I checked them out of desperation,
  since I was convinced they would be horrendously expensive, but
  actually it was very reasonable. Call them, the are at Geneva
  airport.

In summary, whether you should choose air or surface all depends
of the volume and weight of your parcel. Count at least 6 weeks
for surface.

Best regards,

Pierre Demartines, Ph.D http://www.icsi.berkeley.edu/~demartin
Motorola, Lexicus Division. 3145 Porter Drive, Palo Alto, CA 94304