sfbay: Dear Heidi (a.k.a.: Dear Abby)

From: Jkhan <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 08:23:59 -0700

[There is quite a bit of info here: http://www.admin.ch/ch/index.en.html
 the official swiss governement website, the administrator]

Hello Fellow Swiss-Listers,

This past week I have been studying different Constitutions of the World, when I ran across the Swiss Constitution's:
  Title 5, Federal Authorities
  Chapter 3, Federal Government and Federal Administration
  Section 1, Organization and Procedure
  Article 175, (1)... " The Federal Government shall consist of seven members."

?SEVEN? - Immediately I had said to myself, " Can you imagine... Seven George Bush'es !!! "
Say it isn't so, pleeeeease :-)

I mentioned this to my beautiful 'Swiss' wife (did I mention my beautiful wife?) who told me:
Yes that's true, and it's Seven times (7x) worse over there, then it is here, so that's why were never moving back!

' Nooooooooo honey' Not Switzerland to!

Well...., this puts me in some what of a conundrum. Day-after-Day I receive the
Swiss-list email with news of people selling all their worldly possessions and
moving back to the Homeland - Someone's got to warn these people!

This led me to investigated the situation further, which raised some questions:

What exactly do these Seven fellows do over there?, I imagine that some of
their responsibilities are like the US Presidents' Cabinet positions, which are
delegated between them. Could someone tell me how this breaks down, with
respect to the Members title, what is their responsibility?

What are the differences in respect to how they are elected? That is, how do
they get the Job, do they campaign like Bush and Kerry are at the moment, is
there elements of 'showmanship' within the Parliament, etc..

With respect to the; President, the first Vice-President, and the second
Vice-President (whom of which I understand are part of the Seven members),
Where? within their capacity is the division between being a figure-head
(Pres., VP. etc..) and their normal cabinet duties? (when are they wearing
different hats).

Danke Vielmal,
Clueless in California (That is Sunny, sunny, Kalifornia, ... Ah-Yaaaah ;-)

Re:
Swiss/CH [K]: [ http://www.oefre.unibe.ch/law/icl/sz00000_.html ]