startup: Introducing myself and my non-profit startup

From: Thomas Trenker <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 10:59:42 -0700

Dear Friends -

I am new to this list and wanted to use this occasion to introduce
myself and my nonprofit, the Institute for Int'l Film Financing (IIFF),
to you all. I would appreciate your feedback!

IIFF is a social-entrepreneurship organization incorporated in 2003 in
California as a 501(c)3 nonprofit. We are exclusively dedicated to
independent film financing. Our innovative nonprofit mission is to
sustainably "bridge the gap" between the filmmaking and finance
communities, and to do so for the benefit of the public at large. IIFF's
monthly chapter meetings, held in different cities, regularly draw
crowds of 50-100 professionals from finance, film and entrepreneurial
backgrounds.

Our next meeting is coming up this Tuesday, June 21st, and is hosted by
SAP Labs in Palo Alto, CA. You can find further event details, as well
as online registration, at http://events.filmfinancing.org/?id=062105

I started IIFF a couple of years ago while studying towards a PhD in
Finance at my alma mater, the University of St. Gallen in Switzerland.
The original idea was to connect the prolific Swiss capital market with
talented filmmakers worldwide -- and, in particular, in the US. This
purpose, while it still holds true, has evolved and expanded
significantly since then. I soon realized that California --where I had
previously worked and lived for many years-- would be the best place for
an innovative, film-related organization like IIFF to be headquartered.
For more on my background, you may want to review my IIFF bio at
http://download.filmfinancing.org/?id=bio_trenker

Please find an introductory one-pager on IIFF at
http://download.filmfinancing.org/?id=onepager

This month, for the fifth time in a row, IIFF has assembled a compelling
lineup of topical speakers for our Silicon Valley Chapter Meeting. The
speaking roster includes real-world film financiers and venture
investors, a representative from the Directors Guild of America (DGA), a
banker-turned-producer from LA, among others. The evening will be
moderated by a powerhouse tag team of Silicon Valley
executives-turned-producers.

I hope that some of you can join me this Tuesday, despite the short
notice, for an evening of insightful presentations and productive
networking! If you can't make it or would like to learn more about IIFF
directly from me, please feel free to drop me a note anytime at
tom_at_filmfinancing.org.

I look forward to hearing back!

Best regards -TT.

Thomas Trenker
Founder & Chairman
Institute for Int'l Film Financing, Inc.
"Bridging the gap between filmmaking and finance"